Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 17: "I don't know what literally means I just use it okay?!"

Just in case we hadn't gotten enough sun the day before, Mother Nature was heavy on the sun and today was quite the scorcher.  We got up early-ish so as to provide as much time as possible to explore D.C. before seeing a night game at the Nationals Stadium.  Our first stop was the capitol where we paused to take a few pictures, and then we visited the Library of Congress.  One of the things I found most interesting about our time spent in D.C. was how often baseball popped up.  There was a whole section in the Library of Congress gift shop dedicated to baseball; they had a lot of cool books (including one of the books we’re using for our class) and other baseball trinkets.  It just served as a reminder to me that baseball is an integral part of our nation’s culture and history and that I’ll find ways to learn about it even when we’re not in class or at the stadium. 

When we had our fill of Jefferson we met up with Dr. Bob for lunch at the Native American History Museum, which is a really cool place.  It’s a food court divided into different regions, so there were tons of different options and it was kind of overwhelming...but delicious, so it was all good.  From there we walked to the Air and Space Museum which I was excited for because my mom works at an Aerospace elementary school.  It was fun to learn more about the things that I’ve heard her talk about.  I liked walking through the model shuttle and seeing what it would have looked like to live in space (the pull up shower didn’t look particularly enjoyable).  After leaving that museum we parted ways – Steph and Danny headed to Arlington, Bill and Conner had already disappeared, and the rest of us went to explore more of the museums.  First stop was a museum of African art, second stop was the Washington Monument (which I know isn’t a museum but we took a detour for Madison), stop three was the Museum of American History (I was a big fan of seeing the dresses that first ladies have worn to the inaugural balls, although I don’t think my four male companions enjoyed that as much as I did), and stop four was the Museum of Natural History.  We didn’t have much time there which we were fine with because basically we wanted to see the dinosaurs. SO cool.  And now I have the biggest urge to watch the Land Before Time movies.

We were set to meet up with Dr. Bob again at 5 p.m. to get our tickets and go to the stadium so we hoofed it back to the van, a way longer walk than anticipated.  We then walked across the street to the stadium where we get more free stuff! 21+ got free mugs which was disappointing to me at first (as a twenty year old) but luckily the man handed them out deemed Steph and I to be almost 21 and apparently that’s good enough.  After that we went to our seats where a few of us definitely took a little power nap before the game began.  It actually ended up being a really good game, minus the pesky rain delay.  It was more about the pitching than the hitting, with a final score of 2-1 in favor of the Nationals.  The Padres didn’t score until the top of the ninth (with a homer from Bartlett) and then we got to see a walk-off home run from Morse, so that was exciting.  Both pitchers had excellent games.









No comments:

Post a Comment